Social networks up to this point have had several major shortcomings:
- Substantial time investment to get even a semi completed profile.
- Too many features to fiddle with.
- Distasteful advertisements.
- Difficult to maintain current information.
- Must be at a computer to update.
- Hard to get non-tech savvy people to join.
The Solution: Twitter – Social Networking for Busy and Non-Tech Savvy People
Twitter works on a model of speed and simplicity. Rather than trying to pack a whole bunch of features that we don’t have time to use, Twitter focuses on the simple and surprisingly important question of “What are you doing right now?” I originally thought this was a lame idea, until I realized that seeing what people are doing is what I use social networks for. Twitter simply simplified things.
Twitter in Plain English
Some of the Benefits of Twitter:
- Ability to stay connected with friends amidst busy schedules.
- Learn about friends and acquaintances in small digestible pieces, rather than a massive profile overload.
- Get updates regularly via text messages (easy to turn off an on).
- Simple controls allow you to manage your profile from a mobile phone or from a computer.
- Non-tech savvy folks can sign-up from a mobile phone and be apart without having to be a geek.
Possible Use #1 Pastors to People
Pastors can use Twitter to have a more personal connection with hundreds of people, without being bogged down by 2 way messaging.
Possible Use #2 Between Group Members
Small groups can use Twitter to learn about each others day to day lives, fostering better connections and deeper relationships.
Possible Use #3 Marketplace Ministry
People using Twitter to open their lives to co-workers, seekers and non-believers.
Possible Use# 4 Missionaries to Supporters
Not that this needs much explanation, but imagine how powerful it would be to follow missionaries play by play.
Services like Twitter are being developed and spreading virally everyday, rather than fighting our unstoppable fast paced culture lets pick-up some simple tools and fight to stay connected!